Urban Density Lab Lviv 2017
Brownfield transformation: Central Railway Station and the Militarya Unit Site at Shevchenka Street.
In 2017 the Urban Density Lab is back in Lviv! For the ongoing urban transformation processes in areas close to the city center, the following specific and site orientated challenges can be specified:
• the availability and activation of well-connected territories as well as material and social resources
• the clear definition of spatial development goals under with regards to the current aspect of a continuous urban population growth
• a purposeful positioning within the regional and international urban landscape and a programme to strengthen the identity of the city for inhabitants
• the creation of a contemporary, future-based urban habitat in co-existance with the cultural heritage.
Therefore, two key-locations of brownfields in Lviv were chosen to develop some urban design proposals:
• The southern part of the Central Railway Station of Lviv (14 ha)
• A (former) military area between Shevchenka and Horodotska Street (9 ha)
70 students and 14 tutors of 5 universities were working on this topic from March to July 2017.
9 students -Nysa